Tuesday, July 5, 2011

From Fatness to Fitness


(image taken from:  fatburningtipsthatwork.com)

I had a conversation with my diet buddy this morning which was quite intriguing and triggers me to write this post.  Well, both of us have lost a considerable amount of weight over the past year, that friends whom we met would asked us how had we done it.  To be specific,  I had gone from overweight to ideal weight by shedding off 13 kilos in a period of about 6 months last year.  My diet buddy had gone from almost obese (I'm being kind) to near her ideal weight by shedding more than 22 kg and counting...in a period of 1 year.  When we see friends who were struggling with weight issues, we know that everybody can overcome this  because we have done it, and we are eager to share our own experience.  However, the most common question that people would ask us would be: "So, what supplements did you take?"  We all wish that there's a magical potion in a bottle that when we take it, it dissolves all of our misery...and not to mention fat.  Well, there's no such potion.  The only magic formula is us making the decision to start now, to make the changes needed for our lives to be healthier and better. 

There is a verse in the Quran that says, "God has given you shapes, and have made your shapes beautiful."  So, we only have ourselves to blame if we did not honor the Gift from God and allow our bodies to amass huge amount of fat and toxins.  We have to change ourselves internally in our hearts and our minds in order to see that change manifest on the outside.  To my diet buddy, it was accepting the fact that yes, she was obese, her matebolism was bit slower that others who can gobble a plate full of carbs and remain thin.  So, with that acceptance, she change her food choices, activities and habits which will be more suited towards achieving the kind of body she wants for herself.  And I'm telling you, she now look fabulous! And you can see she's glowing with pride and happiness.  The prime motivation for me is that I had come to a point that I was sick and tired, of being sick and tired with my bulging tummy, thighs that rubs each other when I walk and not to mention innocent comments of, "Wah...are you pregnant?"  So, I said to myself I would do anything!  I gave up sugar for 2 full months...and this is me, the sweet tooth hot choc and sugar donuts fanatic.  So, when friends whom I love and care about told me ohh...but I love sugar..., oh..but I had a c-section birth,...oh but I don't have time to excercise... I always encourage them politely.  But what I really wanted to tell them is, oh, c'mon...strip yourself and look in the mirror.  The reflection you see will find you the time to exercise, the humility to appreciate your fruits and veges and the strength to stave off sugar.  Just put in your mind how sweet it is to have the body you always wanted -- the one God have given you.  There's your magic potion, and it doesn't cost you a dime!

No comments:

Post a Comment