Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Surviving in the Google Age by Noryani Ismail


Snipet:  I feel that now is the right time for me to shed my old school thoughts and adopt a more Googlier perspective.  How does these amazing young people view the world? How do they solve problems and resolve issues?  How do they look at opportunities?  I must see the world from their standpoint if I want to succeed in their era.  So, I picked up this book for MPH recently and having a blast reading it.


Some of us carry industrial age ideas, and experience which is why we feel that sometimes we are banging our heads against a brick wall trying to make things work in the Google age.   No wonder we fail.  Well, we don't fail I suppose, that's too strong a word.  We manage to achieve some successes of course.  What I mean is we hardly make an impact, not even a dent, compared to those Google-age 20-somethings who didn't even finish college.   Imagine guys hardly out of college making millions, even billions almost effortlessly, while many more experience adults struggle to break their first million (if their lucky).  I asked myself, what happened here? 

I have a strong hunch that this is so because the more experience adults are actually trying to fit in their old ideas to a new world.  They don't understand this new world.  They...we...just don't get it.  The young guys like Zuckerberg of Facebook gets it because this age is their age.  I want to know how Google, Skype, Facebook, Youtube make their fortune by letting people use their service for free and by making themsleves ubiquitous.  Facebook is valued at US$15 billion, but they are essentially a free platform.  We "oldies" here want to charge for every single thing, and still may not make as much as these "kids".  So, I feel that now is the right time for me to shed my old school thoughts and adopt a more Googlier perspective.  How does these amazing young people view the world? How do they solve problems and resolve issues?  How do they look at opportunities?  I must see the world from their standpoint if I want to succeed in their era.  So, I picked up this book for MPH recently and having a blast reading it.  My old thinking and belief shattered bit by bit.  Ah...we have so much to learn from these kids. 

1 comment:

  1. salam yani,
    Life is about learning and re-learning. Sometimes, we learn new things from our kids, because their thinking is pure, unlike us who have been "polluted" with so many things.

    ReplyDelete