Sunday, November 21, 2010

The ultimate writer meets the ultimate talk show host

By Noryani Ismail



I saw JK Rowling interview with Oprah last night and it was phenomenal.  She is first Billionaire writer.  Her prophecy, as written in the book came through -- that every child will know Harry Potter.  She said the idea of the Harry Potter book came when she was waiting for a train.  She also mentioned that her daugther will sleep next to her when she was writing.

It is the same experience that I have. My daughter will always wake up in the middle of the night or wee hours in the morning when I am working on the laptop and come sleep next to me.  Sometimes her brother would join.  I guess maybe many writers with young children will experience this. Many suggest that we start writing only when the children have grown up and need less attention.  Either that, or you would wake up at 3am or 4am to write, which was what I did and is still doing.  Because stopping the natural flow to write is like trying to stop a full term baby from being born -- you can't.

I love the fact that both Rowling and Oprah know that their success is a phenomenon which is decided and created by God.  This is why according to Rowling, eventhough she will continue writing, she will not be obsessed with trying to match or top Harry Potter's success.  Oprah felt the same way, that in her next phase of career -- managing her TV network, she will treat it as a next project.  The project will not be compared with her current phenomenal success with Oprah Show.  It will be what it needs to be.

If you missed last night's interview, you can sneak peak at the Oprah website:

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-Long-Road-to-Success-Video

Enjoy the interview! I'll go back to finishing my current writing assignment -- Natrah.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment